Novotel Citygate Hong Kong won 2010 Hong Kong Awards for Environmental Excellence
HONG KONG – Novotel Citygate Hong Kong’s continuous effort and commitment to the environment has been rewarded with the Bronze award for “2010 Hong Kong Awards for Environmental Excellence – Hotels and Restaurants”, the most prestigious and reputable award scheme in Hong Kong to identify companies with outstanding environmental performance in various sectors.
Rod Munro, General Manager of Novotel Citygate Hong Kong, “2011 has been a rewarding year for the team of Novotel Citygate Hong Kong. Along with this Award for Environmental Excellence in 2010 we also completed our 2nd consecutive year in achieving Green Globe silver status certification and the hotel was award the highest ranking 4-star hotel in Hong Kong in 2011 Tripadvisor Travelers’ Choice Awards. Our persistence in caring for the environment and the comfort of our guest has really driven this remarkable recognition.”
Our major environmental initiatives in 2010
– Recycle over 24,500 glass bottles for producing 16,300pcs eco-glass paving blocks
– Energy consumption per guest night decreased by 7%, compared to 2009 and 12%, compared to 2008
– Waste to landfill per guest night decreased by 5%, compared to 2009 and 10.5%, compared to 2008, from 12.3 litres in 2008 to 11 litres in 2010
– Recycle waster per guest night increased by 45%, compared to 2008, from 0.11 litres in 2008 to 0.16 litres in 2010
– Replacement of 700 LED bulbs in public areas and saving of 257,000 KWH equals to the electricity consumption of 31,300 fluorescent tubes for a year with daily 8 hours operations and save HK$213,000 on electricity expense
Further green initiatives under immediate focus in 2011:
– Mobilize guest participation includes the placement of green bins in guest rooms for waste separation for recycling, CD and battery collection box in hotel lobby
– Organise ‘Green’ seminars and ‘Green’ workshops to educate the local community and the next generation
– Recycle food waste into dried animal food
“We proactively initiate green actions working closely with neighboring hotels and locally based companies to recycle glass bottles into eco-glass paving blocks. We also plan to work with food waste collection companies who recycle food waste into dried animal food”
“Green actions will never be successful without staff and our guests participate. Whenever possible we will continue to help influence and educate to our staff, guests, families and local communities with our green way” added Mr. Munro.
Designed in contemporary minimalist, Novotel Citygate Hong Kong has 440 stylish rooms and suites, featuring four Premier floors, hotel-wide wireless broadband connection and 32” LCD television. Facilities include 3 restaurants and a bar, 7 function rooms, an outdoor swimming pool and 24-hour gymnasium.